Seo – Understanding How Seo WorksOct 20th, 2009 | By Obinna Heche | Category: Adsense
The world wide web is a highly competitive market. Companies vie for the attention of billions of internet users in the search for better revenue. A lynch pin to the internet marketing war is the search engine.
Search engines are internet venues where billions of people congregate to search for information. The most prominent search engine giants are Google and Yahoo. The kind of traffic these dot-com companies receive per hour is phenomenal.
So naturally, companies would gravitate towards placing their links and sites in an attempt to garner more visits to their web sites.
In order to maximize ranking and placement, companies have used tools such as search engine optimization or SEO. Search engine optimization is the method or process of improving a web sites ranking in a search engine listing.
Legitimate search engine optimization practices focus on the improvement of a pages ranking in the search engine list by improving site content, usability and using legitimate methods of promotion through web phenomena such as viral marketing.
Search engines all use complex algorithms in keeping their relevancy in the web and to keep illegal and abusive search engine optimization methods from prospering. However, black hat SEO users will always be around so it is expected that search engine giant such as Google and Yahoo will continue to make more complex algorithms to filter the garbage out.
Search engines display different kinds of listings on a result page. The more common ones are pay-per-click (PPC), adverts, paid inclusion, and organic listings. Of all these listings, SEO concerns itself foremost with organic listings for a variety of keywords. This can increase the quality and quantity or visitors to a desired web site.
Organic searches are searches conducted by web users in a search engine that is free from solicitations. A study from Jupiter Media stated that 5 out of 6 commercial online purchases came from organic searches versus paid online ads. This has made SEO much more in demand in creating revenue for companies as SEO is not a paid ad but a method of intrinsically improving content.
Here are a few tips on improving content for a much more improved result in organic searches:
1. Expertise. Follow your strengths. Sites you set up must be on subject you consider yourself an expert on. People can smell an amateur a mile away.
2. Plan the site. A good layout for the site can improve usability. This in turn will not unnecessarily aggravate the browser.
3. Research. Check out the competition and see what they have set up. See what works and what does not. If possible try to communicate with users in forums and get feedback on what should or can be improved further.
4. Decide on important keywords. Decide on the most important keywords to use for your site. Include these keywords in the metatags, copy page, page title, and file names.
5. The Search Engine is your friend. Make friends with your search engine and do not give it a hard time. Being nice and friendly to it will make its job easier to serve your site up to your target audience.
6. Focus. Focus on the topic at hand and nothing else. The rule is one topic per page.
7. Join the directories. Directories are repositories of knowledge done by human hands while search engine are huge databases collected by mostly machine methods. The relevancy of your page when joining the right directory may shoot through the roof. Of course, make sure you know what you are talking about.
8. Start a linking campaign. A most effective SEO method. This is a must to do. Ask your allies, strategic partners, friends and acquaintances to place your sites URL link on their sites. With a short description this can draw traffic from other sites and increase exposure. Google especially ranks the importance of its sites by the number of sites linked to it.
9. Repetition is the key to victory. Keep repeating the above tips, supporting and increasing what works and killing what does not as fast as possible until the desired result is achieved.
In the world of search engine optimization, content matters a lot. If a site has amateur or worse falsified information, fewer and fewer browsers will want to visit it. They will even spread bad news faster than good news so expect a garbage site to be ignored even in a weeks time.
Obinna Heche: LA, CA. To learn more about SEO and the benefits to your web site, please visit.. http://gathersuccessonline.com